When I first heard that the American Diabetes Association was recommending 210grams of carbohydrate a day and not lower, because lower is better, because they felt that a lower carbohydrate diet would be too difficult to sustain, I was overcome with the feeling of indignant rage.
What am I, 5? Am I so incapable of thinking and doing for myself that they wouldn't even make that an option? A choice? Don't presume to know me ADA because you don't! Jackasses!
Since then I have read many an article or comment stating the same, usually from similar jackass sources. Perhaps there is some truth in the statement for those too picky or lacking creativity. I think its absurd nonsense. Must you have grain, sugar, fruit, beans and potatoes? I assure you, you do not. What would you rather have...Hamburger helper, or fried pork chops and portabello mushrooms sauted in butter with a cream sauce? (BTW the latter dish takes less time to cook) Hot dogs and French fries or Kielbasa pan fried in butter with onion and Saur Kraut.
Maybe because I have a broad pallet or maybe because I've been doing this a while now, but high fat low carb isn't that difficult, in fact I have discovered wondrous variety and deliciousness beyond imagination! And I'd rather not trade a toe for a lady finger. Eating one's way to the grave is just a sad sad legacy. If you dont think your life is worth working a little for, then you probably have more serious issues than Diabetes or Obesity!
Keep in mind that fat is much more satiating than carbohydrates. You'll eat much less often... No that is NOT bad for your metabolism! Remember too that sugar is 5 times more addictive than heroin and wheat is as addictive as Crack Cocaine! Get rid of that stuff and regain control of your appetites and say goodbye to cravings.
Here are some other amazing things that I eat. I don't miss grains, processed foods, sugar, or starchy vegetables at all!
Some of these are meals, others ingredients. So many possibilities!
Kielbasa
Bacon
Butter
Sour cream
Cream cheese
Cheese (how many full fat cheeses exist, I can't list them all)
Ribs
Eggs, how many things can you make with eggs
Pork rinds, make a good breading and a substitute for bread crumbs in meatballs and meat loaf
Deviled eggs
Blue cheese cole slaw
Regular cole slaw (I like to make my own mayo with NON processed/seed/vegetable oils. Olive oil is preferable.
Pulled pork
Roast beef
Beef brisket
Pork chops
Pork loin
Any meat Stroganoff
Omelettes (add any meat, any cheeses, spinach, onion, mushrooms, broccoli, etc.)
I had a bacon and feta omelette last summer that was to die for.
Sausage (all kinds)
I made a sausage stuffing for thanksgiving with lots of celery and onion. Amazing!
Sausage with peppers and onions
Eggs benedict, hold the english muffin
Hollandaise on anything
Bacon cheese burgers, no bun, no ketchup
Pepperoni and cheese
Salami and cheese
Tuna salad in an avacado
Fajitas, no tortilla
Ham (watch how its cured)
Lamb (leg, shank, roast, ribs etc)
Salmon with homemade dill sauce, lemon butter sauce or whatever tastey fat you want to serve it with
Sardines in olive oil
Prociutto
Chicken wings
Chicken thighs
Cream based chicken soup
Almond butter
Cashew butter
Coconut butter
Macadamia nuts
Brazil nuts
Almonds
Coconut
Whipped cream
Heavy whipping cream
Avocado
Guacamole
Spinach
A lot more things that I am forgetting!
If you have a favorite carbohydrate laden dish, visit our good friend Google. I guarantee there is a low carb or ketogenic version of it out there and you'll find the recipe.
I've seen breads, chips, crackers, and desserts of all kinds. Low carb and fabulous.
I've seen pizzas, ice cream and cookies. I eat out as much now as I did before. "No I won't have the pasta, but I will have a porterhouse steak!! Rare."
Its a little more work, but if the alternative is losing my eyesight, leg, heart failure, early death, or cancer, I'm motivated to work! Did you know that diabetics have a 42% increase in risk of getting cancer? Did you know that cancer NEEDS glucose to proliferate?
In closing I just want to ask...and who would argue against "Pork is magical" ?
Love me some pork.
ReplyDeleteMe Too!
Delete